Web Toolbar by Wibiya

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Exclusive Interview with Von Tae

Phresh brings you the phreshest interviews and for this we had to cross the borders and oceans all the way to the United States of America, Calvert, Maryland. With a voice like no other is Von Tae, a young aspiring Pop and R'n'B Artist. In this tell it all interview Tae speaks about his career and growing up.

Like most singers you must have started singing at a young age. What inspired you to take music seriously?
Von Tae': What inspired me to take music seriously was the fact that I was always surrounded by music and I knew after hearing Michael Jackson, and Whitney Houston's music, I knew that I wanted to be an entertainer for the rest of my life.

Does your music have a main theme or do you touch various topics?
Von Tae': My music touches a wide variety of things depending on how I'm feeling. Sometimes I feel spontaneous to. I write music that's fun and wild, but then some days I'm feeling down and I tend to write empowerment songs. It really depends on the mood that I am in. I talk about everything from money, to sex, to love to relationships, to life and everything else.

What is it about you that sets you apart from other artists?
Von Tae': What sets me apart from a lot of artists is the fact that I myself 100% of the time and I don't let fame, money or anything like that take away from the humble and down to earth guy that I am. I also write all of my music and I incorporate my life story in my music so that it may inspire others. To be honest, being different isn't my goal as an artist. I prefer to just be myself and spread positivity and good values like the artists who inspired me did.

Which artists would you like to work with?
Von Tae': I would like to work with a variety of artists including producers and specific video directors because I love what they do. I would love to work with Beyonce, Luke James, Andre 3000, Lil Kim, Ludacris, Kanye West, Hype Williams (video director), Jake Nava (video director), Melina Matsoukas (video director). Also Timbaland, The Dream, Swizz Beatz Neyo, Kandi Burruss, and Pharrell (production / songwriting wise), and so many others that I can't name from the top of my head. But those are the main ones.

Besides music, what else do you do?
Von Tae': Besides music I am an artist (drawing, painting, etc), I am an aspiring model, actor and entrepreneur. I am always looking for the next business venture to get into because I love the entertainment industry so much. I love fashion and clothes as well so I definitely want to build my brand and do all  of the things I dreamed of doing when I was younger.

Which 5 songs are on your playlist right now?
Von Tae': Well right I'd have to say:
Luke James (I.O.U)
Kelly Rowland (Down on Love)
Kelly Rowland (Put Your Name on It)
Robin Thicke's (Blurred Lines)
Trey Songz (I Need A Girl).

What is your opinion on the current state of Pop music?
Von Tae': Believe it or not, I am actually enjoying today;s pop music. I think a lot of Pop artists have different things that they are contributing to the NEW AGE of Pop and I am really enjoying what every artist has to offer. I love how some Pop artists are doing more Urban Pop music and adding different elements into the genre of Pop. For example, Miley Cyrus and Rihanna. They are really doing there thing !

What is the best advice you have ever received?
Von Tae': My mother Gladys always told me to "never give up". Even still to this day she tells me that and it's been the best advice I've heard because I deal with wanting to give up on certain things everyday but it's always her voice in the back of my head saying "what did I tell you?, never give up".

5 Interesting facts about Von- I'm short (5'7)
- My favorite food is Pizza
- My shoe size is 10 (1/2)
- I was once in foster care
- My moms fav. song of mines his "Been There Too" and "Yea We Chillin"

If you could open for any artist, who would it be?
Von Tae': Wow, without a doubt I would say Beyonce or Lady Gaga. I say these two ladies because I think we all have the same type of fan base and I think that their fans would appreciate my music a lot.

Tell me more about your first debut Album, BBOE
Von Tae': Well, my debut promo album "Broken Boundaries of Existence" is a very eclectic type of album. I think it's very standardize and it came out far better than what I expected it to. I have songs that talk about love, being strong and fearless and I also have sexual songs for my mature listeners. I think anyone from 13-100 can listen to this album and walk away from it saying, "Hmm, I really like that song" or the entire album. It's a 10 track production that was engineered by my close friend Terrance Neal, who I also co-wrote some of the songs with (Perfect Mistake, We Gon' Shut It Down, and Give It To Me). I released it back in September 2012 at my VIP album release party and then later on online to the world and I've been getting alot of amazing feedback from it !

In ten years time I will be ______?
Von Tae': Hmm, in ten years I will be VERY SUCCESSFUL and living a blessed life that God has provided for me. In all honesty I just want to be happy and see things that I've never seen, explore places I've never explored, talk to people that I've never seen and just live my life being HAPPY. Hopefully in ten
years I will be polishing my Grammy's, Oscars and other awards and just being a very successful business man. Accomplishing all of my dreams would be a blessing.

Do you write your own music?
Von Tae': Yes of course I write my own music ! I think writing your own music is very important  because you don't want to sing a song that you can relate to something that you have no feelings for. I think it's important for every artist to know how to write their own music. Even if your writing it with someone else
and collaborating, thats fine too. I really just love true stories and when someone can be HONEST about who they are.

How do I get your music?
Von Tae: Well all of my music is FREE all over the internet. Just go to Google and type in Von Tae' R&B and everything will pop up or you can go to www.soundcloud.com/officialvontae

You have an amazing voice Tae! Is there any musical background in your family?
Von Tae': Yes, music live all throughout my family. My grandmother, Alice Lake singed in a gospel girl group called "The Rainbow Gospel Singers" for 30 years and she also was apart of the church choir. My aunts and uncles can sing as well but none of them pursued a music career for themselves. They just
focused on living their lives and making money the way that they were raised to do. At every family event we always sing and dance which is very fun so music is in my BLOOD.

How was 2012 for you?
Von Tae': I need to actually start making a scrap book with pictures and writing because sometimes time goes by so fast its kinda like, I look back and say to myself, "Wow, what did I do last year?" It's crazy, but in 2012 I had a lot of fun. I went to amusement parks, I worked at 9-5 job and was making my own
money, I bout my first cell phone for myself, I released my debut promo album and that's pretty much what I did. I just had fun spending time with family, catching up with old friends and enjoying my life.

What or who inspires you musically?
Von Tae': Musically, anyone who promotes positivity and self love really inspires me. Beyonce, Michael Jackson, Lady Gaga, and a lot of other musicians inspire me as well. Anybody who is doing their thing and succeeding within it, I applaud them because this music business is not easy and it's nice at all.

What is your creative process for creating a track?
Von Tae': Well first of all I must love the beat or the instrumental of the track to even began writing something. Then I ask myself what do I want to talk about or what do I want to express within the song. Sometimes when I get a uptempo I try not to talk about clubs or partying all of the time because I want to switch things up. After figuring out what the song is going to talk about I usually write the chorus or hook first then i do the verses and end with the bridge. Thats the easiest way for me to write songs. It's different for everyone, but that's how I write.

What's more important, melody or rhythm?
Von Tae': To me personally I think both of them are very important. You must have a great melody to contribute to a great rhythm. Without both, I don't think a song is complete. I tend to focus on both in order to catch the listeners attention with hopes to make them press the replay button !

Highlight of your career thus far?
Von Tae': Aside from a lot of things thats happened to me because of my music the #1 thing that really is the highlight is  building my fan base and being able to communicate with my Tae' Society fans who are so supporting and loving. Without them, none of this would be possible. They inspire me to inspire them back
and we share this incredible bond that can't be broken because of one thing which is the MUSIC.

How do you deal with Bad critic? Infact have you had any?
Von Tae': Believe It or not, I've had so many negative talking people try to knock me down and I actually thought about giving up on music at one point. I must say, It was hard coming out and saying that I was one gay and two a black gay male who wanted to sing aside from being a rapper or a basketball player like everyone else around me. I've learned to deal with It through prayer, and getting to know who I am as a person so that when I'm called a name, I can sit back and laugh because I KNOW WHO I AM.

What are you working on at the moment?
Von Tae': Going to college for music business so that I can start my own record label, I'm working on my new promo album, I'm working on 2 non profit organizations and I'm living my life, trying to build a career for myself and making my mother proud!

Tell me more about your upcoming promo album, what can we expect?
Von Tae': With this music for my 2nd promo album you definitely can expect something different from what you've heard from the BBOE album. It's more instrumentational if that's even a word. Haha. I can't discuss too much on It because its still in its beginning stages but its FEEL GOOD MUSIC.

On Himself

What do you do to relax?
Von Tae': Listening to music is probably the top thing that I do to relax. I also love taking random showers and soaking in the bathtub to help me relax.

What advice would you give to young people out there who want to make it big in music?
Von Tae': Know who you are, be who you are and love who you are because at the end of the day if you don't who can you depend on to love you no matter what aside from you family and God himself ? This entertainment business is tough and you have to have tough skin to be able to withstand it. If you can be yourself which means being happy with who you are you can succeed against all odds. Also, take criticism and run with it. I've been criticized about so many things, "your too skinny", "you can't sing", "why are you pursuing music? your not going to make it" and everything else.... I've heard it all. But one thing I've never done is given up.

Your favorite holiday destination and why?
Von Tae': Well my favorite holiday destination is right now is just waking up AT HOME with a house full of people on Christmas. I really love the spirit of Christmas. It's just full of excitement and love. Christmas is definitely my favorite time of the year.

Are you dating anyone?
Von Tae': No I am not dating anyone at the moment except for my music. Haha, but all jokes aside I would like to have that "Only One" and make it forever. I'm really not the player type.

Describe the Perfect person for you?
Von Tae': The type of person for me has  to be honest and open to talk to me about any and everything. I also was someone who can respect me, my music and the people who I love. I want someone who works hard, has a fun personality, someone who has dreams, someone who loves kids (because I definitely want to have a few one day), someone who enjoys life, someone who doesn't drink, smoke or wants to party at the club every week. A casual outing is fine but if it's a every week type of thing I can't deal with it. I just want someone who is honest, freaky, genuine, romantic, takes good care of themselves and wants to settle down.

Your favorite Shoe to wear?
Von Tae': I love boots and boat shoes right now. But I'm starting to fall in love with basketball shoes like Jordans. I really want to start wearing more colorful shoes or shoes that are a bit more upscale and fashion forward. One day at a time, when I'm able to afford them, I'm sure I'll have them all. Haha

If you were to kiss someone on screen, who would it be?
Von Tae': Hmm... Only one ? Thats hard. If i had to pick a female it would be Meagan Good.

Boxers or Briefs?
Von Tae': I love tight and colorful briefs or briefs that have some sort of print to them. I think it's very sexy! Boxers tend to be a bit uncomfortable for my boys. Haha

One thing you know about South Africa?
Von Tae': One thing that I know about South Africa is that I'm sure its a beautiful place with a lot of beautiful people and scenery. I've always wanted to visit Africa and I think because I have a lot of South African Tae Society fans, I must come and visit South Africa first !

Favorite Lyric Quote?
Von Tae': One of my song lyrics: "I can do anything nothings gonna stop me, I'm headed for the top of the world" (Song: Top of theWorld)

How did the name Von Tae come about?
Von Tae': My real name is Devante Jones and my nickname is Vonte. So when I was deciding on what my artist name what I decided to keep my nickname but switch it up to Von Tae'.

Whats your take on Twerking?
Von Tae': It's gon crazy and people are Twerking all over the world. I love It !

Your Most Awkward moment ever?
Von Tae': I can't remember anything. Sorry. Actually!.... A few weeks ago during a radio interview when they asked me do I play with my balls in the shower ! Now that was awkward!

Coming out as a homosexual person, what was the reaction from your family and friends?
Von Tae': My family and friends didn't really have a reaction and I actually never really "came out" to my family or friends because they KNEW me. I never hid who I am from the beginning and I think they respected that. They're supportive and I love my friends and family so much.

Homophobia is still an issue, do you think this might have an impact on your music career?
Von Tae': To be completely honest, I do think that it will have an effect on my career but I'd rather be who I am than something that I am not. I believe in the truth and being who you are. As an artist and motivational speaker, I can't promote self love if I'm not being my true self. Thats contradicting.

Have you ever dated a girl?
Von Tae': No I have not dated a girl before. But I do admire and respect females. My main best friends are girls.

Last words?
Von Tae': Shoutout to all of my Tae' Society fans and all of my supporters. Shout out to my mother, Gladys Lake and thank you God for being my light and provider. Also, thank you for having me for this interview. I really do appreciate it.

1 comment:

  1. What a Brilliant interview with Von Tae, I really Adorn him it was actually a Wonderful thing to interview him, I'm honored to have him as my Favorite artist he is the type of person i wanna meet in my journey. he is such a Humble person i love his personality...

    ReplyDelete

Your Thoughts?

 
back to top